Rwanda Military Hospital successfully conducts Ebola simulation exercise
Kigali, 25 October 2018
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) through Rwanda Military Hospital in Kanombe, on Thursday successfully conducted a drill dubbed KUMIRA EBOLA SIMULATION EXERCISE that was designed to test the RDF medical service personnel on the readiness and general conduct during a probable Ebola outbreak in Rwanda.
The Minister of Health, Dr Diane Gashumba and the RDF Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Patrick Nyamvumba were among the dignitaries that witnessed the progress of the exercise.
Dr Zuberi Muvunyi, the Director General of Clinical and Public Health Services in the Ministry of Health said that the exercise showcased the ability of RDF, its Rwanda Military Hospital and medical regiment to contain the outbreak. "So far, the level of readiness for the military medics to contain the Ebola outbreak is at the high level as per their equipment and preparedness in every aspect to appropriately intervene and effectively contain the disease. Other medical facilities in the country should also learn from this," said Dr Muvunyi.
The Ministry of Health has assured the general public that Rwanda is on red alert to tackle Ebola from spreading in the country, after a number of cases were reported in the neighbouring country of the Democratic Republic of Congo where the World Health Organisation confirmed an Ebola outbreak in different parts since May 2018.
The Rwanda Defence Force spokesperson Lt Col Innocent Munyengango said that the exercise proved RDF's readiness to contain the outbreak, adding that "'We will continue training and improving our skills for such cases as this one or any other epidemic as part of our role to provide security and humanitarian assistance to Rwandans."
Rwanda currently has no suspected or confirmed case of Ebola.
More News
RDF receives remains of fallen Rwandan peacekeeper
Kigali, 21 January 2021
The casket bearing the remains of Rwandan peacekeeper, Sergeant Nsabimana Jean D’Amour, arrived in Rwanda from Central…
MINUSCA pays last tribute to Rwandan peacekeeper
Bangui, 20 January 2021
The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) and the…
RDF, RBC launch blood donation exercise
Kigali, 15 January 2021
The Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) and Rwanda Biomedical Centre (RBC) have today started an annual blood donation exercise. Kami…
RDF mourns fallen Rwandan Peacekeeper
REF:RDF/MPR/A/08/1/21
Kigali, 13 Jan 2021
The Rwanda Defence Force is deeply saddened by the death of a Rwandan peacekeeper serving under the…
END OF YEAR MESSAGE FROM H.E. THE PRESIDENT AND COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF TO RWANDA’S DEFENCE AND SECURITY FORCES
On behalf of the Government of Rwanda and on my own behalf, I extend my best wishes for a prosperous New Year 2021 to the valiant men and women of…
Rwanda deploys force protection troops to Central African Republic
REF:RDF/MPR/A/07/12/20
Kigali, 20 December 2020
The Government of Rwanda has deployed force protection troops to the Central African Republic, under…
EASF Council of Ministers adopts the Organisation’s strategic plan for the next five years
Kigali, 18 December 2020
The 28th session of the Eastern Africa Standby Force's Council of Ministers for Defence and Security meeting was held today…
EASF Defence Chiefs meet in Rwanda
Kigali, 16 December 2020
The Eastern Africa Standby Force (EASF) Chiefs of Defence and Security meeting has opened in Kigali as part of the 28th…
Rwanda hosts Eastern Africa Standby Force (EASF) Policy Organs Meetings
Kigali, 14 December 2020
Peace and Security leaders in the Eastern Africa Region are in Rwanda, Kigali from 14th to 18th December 2020, to…