Rwanda Military Hospital successfully conducts Ebola simulation exercise
Kigali, 25 October 2018
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) through Rwanda Military Hospital in Kanombe, on Thursday successfully conducted a drill dubbed KUMIRA EBOLA SIMULATION EXERCISE that was designed to test the RDF medical service personnel on the readiness and general conduct during a probable Ebola outbreak in Rwanda.
The Minister of Health, Dr Diane Gashumba and the RDF Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Patrick Nyamvumba were among the dignitaries that witnessed the progress of the exercise.
Dr Zuberi Muvunyi, the Director General of Clinical and Public Health Services in the Ministry of Health said that the exercise showcased the ability of RDF, its Rwanda Military Hospital and medical regiment to contain the outbreak. "So far, the level of readiness for the military medics to contain the Ebola outbreak is at the high level as per their equipment and preparedness in every aspect to appropriately intervene and effectively contain the disease. Other medical facilities in the country should also learn from this," said Dr Muvunyi.
The Ministry of Health has assured the general public that Rwanda is on red alert to tackle Ebola from spreading in the country, after a number of cases were reported in the neighbouring country of the Democratic Republic of Congo where the World Health Organisation confirmed an Ebola outbreak in different parts since May 2018.
The Rwanda Defence Force spokesperson Lt Col Innocent Munyengango said that the exercise proved RDF's readiness to contain the outbreak, adding that "'We will continue training and improving our skills for such cases as this one or any other epidemic as part of our role to provide security and humanitarian assistance to Rwandans."
Rwanda currently has no suspected or confirmed case of Ebola.
More News
RDF receives fallen Rwandan peacekeeper
Kigali, 23 July 2020
The casket bearing the remains of Rwandan peacekeeper, Sergeant Major Nsabiyaremye Edouard, arrived in Rwanda from Central…
RDF mourns fallen Rwandan Peacekeeper
Kigali, 15 July 2020
The Rwanda Defence Force is deeply saddened by the death of a Rwandan peacekeeper serving under the United Nations…
RDF PRESS RELEASE - PROMOTION
REF:RDF/MPR/A/07/04/20
Kigali, 09 July 2020
H.E THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC AND COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF RWANDA DEFENCE FORCE (RDF) HAS PROMOTED THE…
RDF honours Retiring Military Officers
Kigali, 6 July 2020
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) has for the eighth time held a send-off ceremony to honour the service of Military personnel who had…
HE The President of the Republic of Rwanda and Commander-in-Chief of RDF donates 589 bicycles to village leaders in appreciation for their support to security
Nyaruguru, 2 July 2020
H.E the President Paul Kagame and the Commander in Chief (C-in-C) of Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) has donated 589 bicycles to…
PRESS RELEASE ON RUHERU/NYARUGURU ATTACK (UPDATED)
Kigali, 27 June 2020
Today early morning at about 0020hrs, approximately 100 unidentified gunmen heavily armed with machine guns, rocket launchers…
Rwanda donates medical kits to support UNMISS efforts in fight against COVID-19 pandemic
Juba, 13 June 2020
The Government of Rwanda donated testing medical kits to the United Nation Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) as part of its response…
RDF detains soldiers over criminal allegations in Bugesera District
Kigali, 12 June 2020
Since 10 June 2020, the Rwanda Defence Force has in custody two military personnel over allegations of criminal misconduct…
Chinese Military donates medical kits to support RDF in fight against COVID-19
Kigali, 3 June 2020
The Chinese People Liberation Army has donated medical supplies to Rwanda Defence Force to help in the fight against the COVID-19…