Rwanda Military Hospital successfully conducts Ebola simulation exercise
Kigali, 25 October 2018
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) through Rwanda Military Hospital in Kanombe, on Thursday successfully conducted a drill dubbed KUMIRA EBOLA SIMULATION EXERCISE that was designed to test the RDF medical service personnel on the readiness and general conduct during a probable Ebola outbreak in Rwanda.
The Minister of Health, Dr Diane Gashumba and the RDF Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Patrick Nyamvumba were among the dignitaries that witnessed the progress of the exercise.
Dr Zuberi Muvunyi, the Director General of Clinical and Public Health Services in the Ministry of Health said that the exercise showcased the ability of RDF, its Rwanda Military Hospital and medical regiment to contain the outbreak. "So far, the level of readiness for the military medics to contain the Ebola outbreak is at the high level as per their equipment and preparedness in every aspect to appropriately intervene and effectively contain the disease. Other medical facilities in the country should also learn from this," said Dr Muvunyi.
The Ministry of Health has assured the general public that Rwanda is on red alert to tackle Ebola from spreading in the country, after a number of cases were reported in the neighbouring country of the Democratic Republic of Congo where the World Health Organisation confirmed an Ebola outbreak in different parts since May 2018.
The Rwanda Defence Force spokesperson Lt Col Innocent Munyengango said that the exercise proved RDF's readiness to contain the outbreak, adding that "'We will continue training and improving our skills for such cases as this one or any other epidemic as part of our role to provide security and humanitarian assistance to Rwandans."
Rwanda currently has no suspected or confirmed case of Ebola.
More News
UNMISS FORCE COMMANDER PAYS OFFICIAL VISIT TO RWANBATT-1 TROOPS IN SOUTH SUDAN
Juba 17, September 2025
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Force Commander, Lt Gen. Mohan Subramanian has begun a two-day official…
RDF PRESS RELEASE: RDF SMALL UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENT IN RUTSIRO DISTRICT
REF: RDF/DPA/A/10/07/2025
Kigali, 16 September 2025
This afternoon, at 13:40 hours, a small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) operated as part of…
DEFENCE SPOKESPERSON DISCUSSES ROOT CAUSES OF CONFLICT AT A SYMPOSIUM IN KIGALI
Kigali, 15 September 2025
Defence Spokesperson Brig Gen Ronald Rwivanga today joined other panellists to discuss security and democracy in the Great…
RDF ARMY CHIEF OF STAFF BRIEFS RWANDA SECURITY FORCE AHEAD OF DEPLOYMENT TO CABO DELGADO
Gako, 13 September 2025
Today, at the Rwanda Military Academy in Gako, Maj Gen V. Nyakarundi, the RDF Army Chief of Staff, together with…
LT GEN INNOCENT KABANDANA LAID TO REST
Kigali, 12 September 2025
Today, the Rwanda Defence Force joined family and friends in a burial ceremony of Lieutenant General Innocent Kabandana…
RDF SHARES PEACEBUILDING AND REINTEGRATION SUCCESS DURING AFRICAN UNION TECHNICAL ENGAGEMENT IN KIGALI
Kigali, 11 September 2025
This evening, the Defence Spokesperson Brig Gen Ronald Rwivanga, delivered a keynote address during a technical…
SECTOR SOUTH COMMANDER UNDER UNMISS BIDS FAREWELL TO RWANBATT-1 TROOPS IN JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN
Juba , 8 September 2025
This evening, the Sector South Commander under the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Brigadier General Dinesh…
RWANDA PEACE ACADEMY HOSTS BATTLE GROUP COMMANDERS’ TRAINING OF TRAINERS COURSE
Musanze, 8 September 2025
The Battle Group Commanders’ Training of Trainers course in Peace Support Operations started today at the Rwanda Peace…
RDF MOURNS LT GEN INNOCENT KABANDANA
Kigali, 7 September 2025
The Rwanda Defence Force is deeply saddened to announce the unfortunate death of Lt Gen Innocent KABANDANA. He passed…
RDF ARMY CHIEF OF STAFF JOINS THE 503 BRIGADE IN A ROUTE MARCH IN MUSANZE DISTRICT
Musanze, 6 September 2025
This morning, the Army Chief of Staff (ACOS), Maj Gen Vincent NYAKARUNDI, joined the RDF 503 Brigade personnel under 2nd…