President Kagame and President Nyusi praise Rwandan Joint Forces deployed with Mozambican forces in Cabo Delgado Province
Pemba, 24 September 2021
President Paul Kagame has applauded the work done by Rwandan Joint Force and Mozambican troops in liberating Cabo Delgado Province in Mozambique.
The Head of State addressed Rwandan forces deployed to Mozambique, where he arrived Friday morning for a two-day working visit.
Rwanda deployed a Joint Force of approximately one thousand personnel composed of Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) and Rwanda National Police (RNP) on 09 July 2021 to Cabo Delgado province to support Mozambican Government to restore state authority in Cabo Delgado Province by conducting combat and security operations, Stabilization and Security Sector Reform (SSR).
The Joint Forces have already liberated several key towns from the terrorists.
“The work done hasn’t been easy. I bring greetings from your fellow brothers and sisters back home,” President Kagame, clad in military uniform along with his Mozambican counterpart Filipe Nyusi, told a joint parade of Rwandan and Mozambican forces.
“President Nyusi has informed me that Mozambicans are greatly appreciative that they have now been able to go back to their normal daily lives,” he said. “However, the work done so far cannot stop here.
President Kagame told the Rwandan contingent, “We now have another task which is to continue rebuilding and protecting this country. The President and people of Mozambique are at the forefront of this and will inform us how long our mandate here should be.”
“You sacrificed and endured days and nights in the scorching sun, heavy rains.”
The Head of State also fired a warning to the terrorist group. “The rebels better know that we won’t sit back and let them return and threaten the lives of the people in Cabo Delgado.”
“They are real heroes”
President Nyusi expressed his gratitude to the Rwandan forces for helping restore peace in the region.
“They are real heroes. Our citizens are forever grateful for the kind of service these soldiers have shown and for liberating them from rebels who had taken over Cabo Delgado.”
He observed that “the Rwandan soldiers have shown immense respect to our citizens. They are loved and respected.”
“Our soldiers are forever indebted to you and we look forward to continuing rebuilding the lives of our citizens for the better,” he said.
President Kagame is also expected to join his counterpart President Nyusi at a major military ceremony, dubbed the Armed Forces Day, due at Pemba Municipal Stadium on Saturday.



More News
UNMISS FORCE COMMANDER PAYS OFFICIAL VISIT TO RWANBATT-1 TROOPS IN SOUTH SUDAN
Juba 17, September 2025
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Force Commander, Lt Gen. Mohan Subramanian has begun a two-day official…
RDF PRESS RELEASE: RDF SMALL UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE ACCIDENT IN RUTSIRO DISTRICT
REF: RDF/DPA/A/10/07/2025
Kigali, 16 September 2025
This afternoon, at 13:40 hours, a small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) operated as part of…
DEFENCE SPOKESPERSON DISCUSSES ROOT CAUSES OF CONFLICT AT A SYMPOSIUM IN KIGALI
Kigali, 15 September 2025
Defence Spokesperson Brig Gen Ronald Rwivanga today joined other panellists to discuss security and democracy in the Great…
RDF ARMY CHIEF OF STAFF BRIEFS RWANDA SECURITY FORCE AHEAD OF DEPLOYMENT TO CABO DELGADO
Gako, 13 September 2025
Today, at the Rwanda Military Academy in Gako, Maj Gen V. Nyakarundi, the RDF Army Chief of Staff, together with…
LT GEN INNOCENT KABANDANA LAID TO REST
Kigali, 12 September 2025
Today, the Rwanda Defence Force joined family and friends in a burial ceremony of Lieutenant General Innocent Kabandana…
RDF SHARES PEACEBUILDING AND REINTEGRATION SUCCESS DURING AFRICAN UNION TECHNICAL ENGAGEMENT IN KIGALI
Kigali, 11 September 2025
This evening, the Defence Spokesperson Brig Gen Ronald Rwivanga, delivered a keynote address during a technical…
SECTOR SOUTH COMMANDER UNDER UNMISS BIDS FAREWELL TO RWANBATT-1 TROOPS IN JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN
Juba , 8 September 2025
This evening, the Sector South Commander under the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Brigadier General Dinesh…
RWANDA PEACE ACADEMY HOSTS BATTLE GROUP COMMANDERS’ TRAINING OF TRAINERS COURSE
Musanze, 8 September 2025
The Battle Group Commanders’ Training of Trainers course in Peace Support Operations started today at the Rwanda Peace…
RDF MOURNS LT GEN INNOCENT KABANDANA
Kigali, 7 September 2025
The Rwanda Defence Force is deeply saddened to announce the unfortunate death of Lt Gen Innocent KABANDANA. He passed…
RDF ARMY CHIEF OF STAFF JOINS THE 503 BRIGADE IN A ROUTE MARCH IN MUSANZE DISTRICT
Musanze, 6 September 2025
This morning, the Army Chief of Staff (ACOS), Maj Gen Vincent NYAKARUNDI, joined the RDF 503 Brigade personnel under 2nd…