President Kagame and President Nyusi praise Rwandan Joint Forces deployed with Mozambican forces in Cabo Delgado Province
Pemba, 24 September 2021
President Paul Kagame has applauded the work done by Rwandan Joint Force and Mozambican troops in liberating Cabo Delgado Province in Mozambique.
The Head of State addressed Rwandan forces deployed to Mozambique, where he arrived Friday morning for a two-day working visit.
Rwanda deployed a Joint Force of approximately one thousand personnel composed of Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) and Rwanda National Police (RNP) on 09 July 2021 to Cabo Delgado province to support Mozambican Government to restore state authority in Cabo Delgado Province by conducting combat and security operations, Stabilization and Security Sector Reform (SSR).
The Joint Forces have already liberated several key towns from the terrorists.
“The work done hasn’t been easy. I bring greetings from your fellow brothers and sisters back home,” President Kagame, clad in military uniform along with his Mozambican counterpart Filipe Nyusi, told a joint parade of Rwandan and Mozambican forces.
“President Nyusi has informed me that Mozambicans are greatly appreciative that they have now been able to go back to their normal daily lives,” he said. “However, the work done so far cannot stop here.
President Kagame told the Rwandan contingent, “We now have another task which is to continue rebuilding and protecting this country. The President and people of Mozambique are at the forefront of this and will inform us how long our mandate here should be.”
“You sacrificed and endured days and nights in the scorching sun, heavy rains.”
The Head of State also fired a warning to the terrorist group. “The rebels better know that we won’t sit back and let them return and threaten the lives of the people in Cabo Delgado.”
“They are real heroes”
President Nyusi expressed his gratitude to the Rwandan forces for helping restore peace in the region.
“They are real heroes. Our citizens are forever grateful for the kind of service these soldiers have shown and for liberating them from rebels who had taken over Cabo Delgado.”
He observed that “the Rwandan soldiers have shown immense respect to our citizens. They are loved and respected.”
“Our soldiers are forever indebted to you and we look forward to continuing rebuilding the lives of our citizens for the better,” he said.
President Kagame is also expected to join his counterpart President Nyusi at a major military ceremony, dubbed the Armed Forces Day, due at Pemba Municipal Stadium on Saturday.



More News
RDF pledges medical support as EASF takes over the African Union Standby Force
Nairobi, 20 June 2019
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) has pledged to provide medical support for the Eastern African Standby Force (EASF) as the body…
RDF Peacekeepers share lessons learned
Kigali, 20 June 2019
Rwanda Defence Force (RDF), in partnership with the United States Institute of Peace and various other partners, is conducting a…
RDF trains South Sudanese, assists in community work
Malakal & Juba
Rwandan peacekeepers of Rwanbatt-2 (RDF 71 Infantry Battalion) serving under the United Mission South Sudan (UNMISS) in Malakal (North…
Senior officers from ten countries graduate at RDF Command and Staff College
Musanze, 7 June 2019
Forty-seven (47) Senior Officers from Rwanda Defence Force (RDF), Rwanda National Police and nine other allied Armed Forces from…
Gabiro Combat Training Centre students visit Genocide memorial site
Kigali, 1 June 2019
290 company course, platoon commanders’ and platoon sergeant course students from RDF Combat Training Centre in Gabiro this…
47 Senior Officers due to graduate from RDF Command and Staff College
Musanze, 31 May 2019
ACOS, Lt Gen Mupenzi awarding student Maj YU Gabarin from Nigeria.
Rwanda Defence Force Command and Staff College (RDFCSC) is…
120 RDF soldiers of First Division (1Div) complete Section Commanders’ course
Kigali, 31 May 2019
A total of 120 RDF soldiers made up of Sergeants, Corporals and Privates have today completed a three-months section…
EJVM experts honour Genocide victims
Kigali, 31 May 2019
In the afternoon of Friday 31 May, 22 experts from the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM) visited the Kigali Genocide…
UNMISS Force Commander Lt Gen Frank MUSHYO KAMANZI ends tour of duty
Juba, 27 May 2019
The Force Commander for the United Nation Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Lt Gen Frank Mushyo Kamanzi, has today bid farewell to…
